Topped with a fluffy frosting and chocolate sprinkles, these extra-rich, extra-delicious cupcakes smell wonderful while baking and taste even better! —Mary Bilyeu, Ann Arbor, Michigan
Prep: 25 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup cold brewed coffee
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 3 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons milk chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons brewed coffee
- 1/2 cup chocolate sprinkles
Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, beat sugar, coffee, oil, eggs, vinegar and vanilla until well blended. In a small bowl, combine flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; gradually beat into coffee mixture until blended.
Fill paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool.
For frosting, in a microwave, melt chips and butter; stir until smooth. Transfer to a large bowl. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar and enough coffee to reach desired consistency. Pipe frosting onto cupcakes. Top with sprinkles; gently press down.
1 cupcake: 412 calories, 19g fat (5g saturated fat), 49mg cholesterol, 255mg sodium, 59g carbohydrate (42g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.